This page is obsolete! The information included is probably invalid and thus should be used with care
New Web Interface (Postorius)
Postorius depends on mailman.client, the Python bindings to Mailman's REST interface:
Mailman 3 comes with a new architecture which allows for a separation between the web user interface (WUI) and the mailing list engine. In fact, you can run Mailman 3 with no WUI at all, or integrate Mailman 3 with the rest of your web site by accessing the REST admin interface via mailman.client.
- Modern, easy to use web user interface for users, list admins, and site admins.
WUI templates must support internationalization by allowing us to mark up translatable texts for inclusion in the gettext catalog. Technology must integrate with Python's gettext module and/or Mailman's i18n infrastructure.
- WUI template system must be Python-based (framework TBD) and GPLv3 compatible.
We chose the Django templating system. Some thoughts we were considering:
- It would be nice to use the same templating system in the WUI and core engine. I'd like to be able to use templates for all email that Mailman sends
- Of course, written in Python
The Mailman WUI (a.k.a. Postorius) is developed on Launchpad (code, code review, and bug reports), and we discuss it on the mailman-developers mailing list. Please also see the bottom of the page for more resources (including mockups, feature suggestions, and prior work).
A quick 5 minute guide (if you're lucky) to get Postorius installed for development can be found here:
A guide to run Postorius using Apache is part of the Postorius documentation:
Some preliminary notes on testing new code in Postorius (this is still a draft...):
Please add your name to this list, and email the mailman-developers list, if you are interested in helping out!
- Patrick Ben Koetter
Anna Granudd <anna DOT granudd AT gmail DOT com>
Florian Fuchs <f AT state-of-mind DOT de>
- Claudia Fleiner
- Toshio Kuratomi
- Sumana Harihareswara
Wish List / Random Ideas
- "moderate_all" option for admins: "Consider an admin that is reviewing a bunch of bounces/spam, etc. It might be handy for him to have some buttons to freeze the list (eg. moderate-all) in that context without having to navigate over to a different section to set that flag." (wacky via irc)
- showing the Log in the WUI (C Nulk via Mailinglist)
- allowing a user 'to be on vacation' (wacky via IRC)
Views that Mailman 3 should support