This is where I am collecting the feature list and other artifacts for Mailman 3.0 which will be a major upgrade for the project. Many things that people have been wanting for years will be addressed, most notably a unified user database, true virtual domain support, and backing the Mailman data in a real database layer. From a development perspective, we will be adopting a very strict test-driven development model, utilizing modern Python technology and coding styles. The focus will be on providing core Mailman functionality through a REST API, architecturally separate components loosing communicating for better system administration and development lifecycles, while continuing the tradition of providing a turnkey solution with all the necessary parts, making it even easier to download, install, and go.
There is currently no ETA for Mailman 3, but there have been several beta releases and development is moving quickly. Contributors are welcome and encouraged! Discussions will happen on the mailman-developers mailing list. Anyone can check out and use the current development source branches. The TODO list below is not a commitment of features (unless marked with a Done ).
Development and status
Mailman 3 is essentially five projects:
To Do List
Here are things we need to do before Mailman 3.0 Suite final can be released. We started this list with the leftovers from PyCon Sprint 2013 and updated it in mid-January 2015.
- Mailman Suite:
- Update the bundler that packages Mailman 3/Hyperkitty/Postorius together with appropriate setup scripts
Internationalization - there must be a way for the community to contribute translations and for us to integrate them into releases (bug 1414154)
Migration scripts for current Mailman 2 installations (bug 965532)
Mailman 2 & 3 co-existing?
- Integrate hyperkitty/postorius into a single django install? (nice to have)
- Add user settings page (Likely to be completed as part of stylistica's summer of code work; may need temporary fix sooner)
- Add ability to add/remove email addresses from a user record (currently waiting on discussions with core about how to do this. Will we need to send email confirmations?)
Add ability to remove moderators/owners from a list (see bug 1062889)
subscription moderation (see bug 1058449)
non-member disposition [Put list of non-members in list settings with allow/deny, etc] (see bug 1414149)
- Implementation of django-browserid + custom audience checking
Pull list of supported languages for a domain from Mailman core via API (see bug 1414298)
- work with Mailman 3 core (including using core API rather than internal interfaces)