- Greater customization through templates. At the very least, modernized HTML/CSS so themes can be all CSS.
- Must provide stable URLs, e.g. that survive archive regeneration even if messages are deleted. See Stable URLS for more info.
- Must protect e-mail addresses from being crawled by spammers.
- Must survive vicious crawlers that don't obey robots.txt or crawl very quickly.
- May provide a feature to automatically detect & disable crawlers.
- Must be able to import existing mbox-format mailboxes.
- Should be able to return a URL or ID for a message very quickly; this would let us include a link to the archived copy in the message footer.
- Should provide a forwarding mechanism so that existing pipermail urls can be forwarded to the new archiver urls.
- Access through CGI or script. (Generating static files may continue to be an option.)
- Easier to edit archives (deleting posts, moving discussions to another list or archive).
- Easier to use an external archiver program.